Joshua L. Dratel, P.C. is a national practice serving clients at all stages of the criminal process, including:
We represent clients in both federal and state proceedings that involve “white collar” investigations and charges, including fraud,
securities, tax, and public corruption cases, or involve other criminal conduct such as racketeering, murder, assault, rape, or narcotics
violations. While based in New York City, we are regularly involved in trials and appeals across the U.S. Recently, we have tried
cases in California, Idaho, Texas, and New York, and appeared as appellate counsel in the First, Second, Fourth, and Fifth Circuits.
We have also been involved in international criminal matters, assisting foreign counsel with respect to extradition and matters
connected to U.S. laws and courts.
- representing defendants, witnesses, and entities in grand jury investigations and subpoenas;
- conducting corporate and other internal investigations;
- negotiating with prosecutors to avoid the filing of criminal charges;
- representing a client from arrest through trial, including conducting factual investigations,
filing motions, and trying cases;
- providing sentencing advocacy after trial;
- litigating financial issues such as asset seizures and forfeiture;
- representing clients on appeal from convictions and civil judgments; and,
- negotiating optimal plea bargains.
We represent individuals as well as institutions and entities such as corporations, partnerships, and foundations. We have a proven
track record of excelling in complex cases and internal investigations.
Our firm is also known nationally for its retained and public interest representation of individuals facing charges in high-profile cases.
We believe that every client is entitled to top-flight representation and that the rule of law and the Constitution’s strength
and resiliency depend upon it. We were the first civilian attorneys to represent an individual charged in the Guantanamo Bay
military commissions, obtaining his release to his home country (Australia). We continue to defend many individuals charged in
high-profile terrorism cases. Lawyers in the firm are also members of select panels chosen to represent indigent defendants and
those charged with capital offenses.
In addition to our criminal defense work, we also represent clients in some select civil matters that are related to criminal
proceedings or in situations in which our skills and experience can solve a problem or provide superior litigation representation.